Backpacker Fashion

>> December 20, 2009

Let's face it, a backpacker lifestyle isn't exactly a fashionable one.

Two pair of pants, some long underwear (thanks mom..I wear them daily!!), two long-sleeve shirts, two t-shirts, two lightweight dresses, one pair of sneakers, flip flops, two cotton skirts, one pair of "fancy" flats, one hoodie sweatshirt, a pashmina scarf, and a long overcoat. Add this paltry wardrobe to 42 degree windy weather and and day after day of walking long miles through an enormous city, and you find yourself a less-than-fashionable backpacker.

For those of you who know me, you are aware that although far from a fashion queen, I like clothes. I like dresses and lofty heels and flouncy skirts and big jewelry. I like dressing up and wearing impractical things.

But I also love backpacking through far-flung lands.

And it's good for me. And it would be good for YOU! Think that you can't live without your multitude of different colored shirts? Or the skirt that has to be ironed before wearing? Or those flashy stilettos that you can't wear on grass or dirt? Or even without wearing a different outfit each day? Hit the road and carry it all on your back. Suddenly you realize that your camera, toothbrush, fast-dry undies, imodium, sunglasses, and paperback books trump the things that make you look good.

Don't get me wrong....a little part of me turns lime-green with envy when I see the tokyo divas in their patterned tights and fur stoles and gorgeous boots. And N was amazingly tolerant last night when I just couldn't resist a quick ogle at the window displays in Shibuya last night.

But I'm a backpacker and I'm on a journey to see the world. Not exactly a bum deal, is it?

Wear something a little sassy today...just for me.

xoxo

1 comments:

katie,  December 21, 2009 at 5:32 AM  

What a great morning! Hot coffee... and a link to your journey!!

Happy Winter and continued wonderful travels... thanks for bringing me (us) along.

I love hearing your "voice" Brit! (though we've not yet met)... In your honour, I shall wear my jeans for a 3rd day in a row *smileface*

Thanks for the Happy Holidays, Nate. Same to you 2!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us a comment! Feel free to leave your email if you need a response.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP