Hot Pot on a Cold Night

>> January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Yesterday we spent the last day of 2009 wandering around CHILLY Nanjing, exploring the Purple Mountain and the Botanical Gardens within. Not exactly the best season to view local foliage, but we thoroughly enjoyed our walk. The Bonsai Garden was especially fascinating: twisted trunks and stunted growth and fairly grotesque in their beauty. Bonsai-making is an art that intrigues me to no end. It was wonderful to spend a few hours wandering through nature; staying in the dense asian urban jungles makes me crave grass and trees and open, natural spaces. Trust me, had it been just a few degrees warmer, I would have been barefoot. However, the temperature yesterday barely cleared 38 degree F.

We had a great dinner at a hot pot restaurant (wouldn't you know, our latest hotel is on THE hot pot restaurant street) and basked in the aromatic warmth of a simmering bowl of broth. Ordering was a challenge, as the ordering sheet was much like one found in a western sushi shop: columns of text with space to mark "1" or "2" next to each. No pictures. No english. Enter the "Point It" book and help from the restaurant staff. We ended up with delicious, thinly-sliced beef, spinach, sweet potatoes, noodles, and mushrooms. We sent the vienna sausages back....eww!

***If you haven't been to a hot pot restaurant, look for one in your city! You order a bowl of broth (sometimes divided into two different flavors), which sits on a burner in the middle of your table. The food you order arrives raw, and you cook it on the table in the simmering broth.***

I have been continually surprised by the COLD weather here in southeastern asia; last night in Nanjing was 29 degrees. I have been so grateful to my parents for giving us two lightweight sleeping bags for our journey!! Nearly every night I have been inside my sleeping bag, underneath the hotel comforter....with long underwear. Yes, I am a weenie when it comes to low temperatures.

Traveling is so different in cold climates, especially as a "backpacker." I realize now that nearly all of my travels have been to or within warmer climates: colombia, venezuela, mexico and central america, and Caribbean islands. And yes, I was born in Maine, grew up in Oregon, and should certainly have a higher tolerance for cold. But I don't. And I am SO looking forward to sloughing off these many layers (especially the wool-blend overcoat) as we continue our journey in a southerly direction.

I'm sure that many of you reading this post are looking forward to warmer weather as well.

Hope you have a great New Year's Eve, see you in 2010!!

xo

**See our travel photos at http://honeyserviceyear.shutterfly.com (password "travel")

1 comments:

Anonymous,  January 2, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

I am Rajib from Kolkata (India).
There are some Chinese mushrooms that can even kill cancer-cells. You may want to check out dishes that contain mushrooms in China. The best diet during winter is soups containing vegetables and mushrooms along with egg and chicken.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us a comment! Feel free to leave your email if you need a response.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP